Baked Apples Stuffed with Cinnamon Date Pecans (serves 2-4)
- 2 large firm baking apples, cored
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 Medjool dates (or raisins), pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (or try ground flax)
- 1/4 cup pecans (or walnuts), chopped
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Wash and core apples. You want to make the hole about an inch in diameter, so there is enough room for stuffing. Place cored apples in a lightly oiled rimmed baking dish (I used a 4 cup dish).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
- Fill apples with the oatmeal mixture (pack it down slightly) and spoon the leftover oatmeal + all liquid into the dish, surrounding the apples.
- Bake, uncovered, for approximately 35-50 minutes (this time will vary depending on your apples, so keep an eye on it). To test for doneness, pierce apple with a knife. If it slides through fairly easy it’s done. The almond milk should also be absorbed and the oatmeal fairly firm.
- Serve with drizzle of pure maple syrup, apple butter or pumpkin butter, whipped coconut cream, non-dairy ice cream, or yogurt.
- Enjoy it hot or cold, for breakfast, snacking, or dessert a la mode!