Orange Chicken Stir-Fry with Asparagus
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast/tenders, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 2 pounds asparagus, end portions trimmed and remainder diced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, mined
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 2 fresh oranges
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
In a 12-inch non-stick wok, heat 1/2 Tbsp of oil over moderately high heat. Once oil is hot, add diced chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until cooked through, tossing occasionally, about 5-6 minutes.
Place chicken on a large plate and set aside. Return wok, reduce to medium-high heat, add remaining oil. Once oil is hot, add asparagus, yellow onion and mushrooms, and sauté until tender-crisp.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, honey and cornstarch until well blended. Pour chicken broth mixture into skillet with veggies, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to gently boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
Toss chicken mixture and serve immediately over brown rice or quinoa.