If you’re a fan of fall, you’re certainly not alone. Something about the cooler temperatures and the changing season just puts many of us in a reflective mood. This, in turn, makes autumn a perfect time to hear what God is saying amidst the sound of fires crackling and the scent of pumpkin floating through the air.
As we begin to experience the majesty that fall beholds, may we be intentional in listening for His voice, reflecting on His goodness and the depth of His love for us. Below are a few scriptures that can help us get started:
1. “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork.” —Psalm 19:1
The sky on a clear fall day can be the most incredible shade of blue—especially against the background of changing leaves. One glance gives us a clue that we’re a part of something bigger than ourselves. Take some time to enjoy the wonder of His work.
2. “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.” —Ecclesiastes 3:1
Whether it’s leaves changing in your backyard or you changing your clock for Daylight Saving Time, autumn reminds us that nothing stays the same forever. Change is one of the few constants in life, but that’s okay--God has perfect timing, and He has a purpose that stretches into eternity.
3. “How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you.” —Psalm 31:19
God doesn’t just give us a few blessings. He pours out an abundance of good things on our lives. Fall offers the perfect time to reflect on His goodness toward us. His blessings really are new each day (Lamentations 3:22-23).
4. “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” —Galatians 6:9 (NIV)
Fall is a season of harvest, so it’s good to remember that we always reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7). Sometimes, we get discouraged and wonder if the seeds we plant will ever sprout. Fall assures us that harvest day is coming, so we have to stick with the work.
5. “Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain.” —James 5:7
Patience may be a virtue, but it’s never easy. This agricultural illustration with a fall flavor reminds us that we have to develop patience. God will work out His plan in His timing. We can trust His work, even when He’s not working on our timetable.
6. “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” —Isaiah 40:8 (NAS)
Dried leaves crunch beneath your feet, and the grass is a sad shade of brown. The air turns crisp—maybe even cold. It’s the annual transition from the life of spring and summer to the hibernation of fall and winter. But while seasons shift, we serve a God who never fails. He stands forever—and new pages on the calendar can’t change that.
We pray that you experience Him this fall like never before!